Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Lesson I Learned Today: Silence Isn't All It's Cracked Up To Be

The day is coming to a close and I have to admit... I had a great day. Now, it didn't start off that way, but wow, what a difference a few hours make. From my earlier post you can see just how rocky it was. But this post isn't about that. This post is about what I learned today. So here goes:

1. I learned that when I am upset attempting to be quiet doesn't work as well as I thought it did. I have always been quick to "pop off" at the mouth. I used to think that my satirical wit (as I liked to call it) was a blessing. Now I am understanding that this "skill" has gotten me into more trouble than I'd like. So I pause and go mute for a while to organize my thoughts. Only I was told today that others take my being mute as being unapproachable and pissed off. I've always believed that non-verbal communication was more powerful than verbal. So I guess I need to brush off my Paul Lawrence Dunbar and put the mask on a bit tighter.

2. I also learned that suffering in silence isn't really noble. No, I don't think you should hold a pity party for every little thing, but sometimes you need to connect with a friend/prayer partner/amen corner for a boost. That doesn't mean that you aren't trusting in the Lord to deliver you. God puts people in your life to assist you and bring you joy. So today, my time spent at lunch with my friend was joyous. Thank you.

3. Even when things look dark, I am much farther than I was last month and leaps ahead of where I was last year. For that I say, amen.

1 comment:

  1. Great lessons! And I love that you can see change in yourself. The fact that you're even thinking about these things shows continual progress, no matter what.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...